Sunday, December 19, 2010

GAME plan Progress

School is out! Hurray! And the family emergency continues to plague me...

But back to my GAME plan! I think I have figured wiki's out enough to lead a classroom full of students into a collaborative endeavor using one. There are still things I will continue to learn about them I am certain but I now feel comfortable enough to set another goal. I need to create a few digital stories myself. I will not feel comfortable having my students build one unless I can more or less do it myself and therefore do basic troubleshooting for them.

Powerpoint is one of the more common applications/software available that would work for this purpose so I will start with that. I will try to combine the effort with a great Christmas gift for the grandparents. This means that I will have a wonderful subject, my son, and incorporate pictures, video, music and narration. I think if I can get all four of those elements into a story/update about my son I will have mastered the most basic elements of a digital story. Also, burning it onto a DVD and or saving it to a thumbdrive will be another great accomplishment in my GAME plan. Woohoo! Progress in technology education!

I think the process of forming a GAME plan would be very beneficial to students. One of the digital stories I do could be about forming a GAME plan and the NETS-S with my students. Before doing the wiki or the digital story we could go over what the students want to work on. As long as I am modeling and supporting those goals through assignments that involve technology the students will find motivation and enthusiasm to meet the goals they make for themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite impressed on your wiki accomplishments. I have been saying all along I'm still not comfortable with them. Powerpoints are a great place to start in the digital photostory world, however if it is feasible Photostory is a great program to use as well for digital story telling.

    Best of luck!!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was looking at the possibility of using photostory! I want to try it and will use it to create at least one just to see how it goes. I know there is a free version of it to be downloaded but I think it is just the trial version. Have you made a digital story using both photostory and powerpoint? Could you tell me the differences between the two? I imagine photostory to be easier because the name alone sounds like it was built with a digital story in mind!

    ReplyDelete